Wednesday 9 October 2013

Philip Chevron (17/6/57 - 13/10/13) R.I.P Faithfully Departed


Just heard that guitarist with one of my favourite bands the Pogues, Philip  Chevron, died yesterday aged 56 after a long battle with cancer.  He regarded his fate with great stoicism - he told the Irish Daily Mail earlier this year " I am gay, Irish,Catholic, alcoholic pogue who is about to die from cancer - and don't think I don't know it."
He had first performed with the Irish punk band the Radiators from Space, before he joined the Pogues, contributing  to some of their more memorable albums, in addition to playing the banjo and mandolin, he added magic to their legendary performances, who I was fortunate to see back in the day. A punk heart with a penchant for the work of Betolt Brecht and Kurt Weill.
Later  he became almost like the bands unofficial spokesperson.
My thoughts are with is friends and family.

The Pogues - A Thousand Ships are sailing

The Radiators from Space - Faithfully Departed



Philip Chevron and Spider Stacy






No comments:

Post a Comment